Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Lady Out of Time Review

A Lady Out of Time
Caroline Hanson

Reviewed by Phoenix



Book Blurb
Sent back in time to Victorian England to stop the invention of a deadly weapon, Helen Foster knows the job looks too easy: All she has to do is go to an auction, buy the weapon plans, destroy them, and she’ll save millions of people back in her own time. And even if she spends the rest of her life as a spinster stuck in the English countryside with a plethora of cats, changing the future is worth it.

Then she meets Edward Clifton, Duke of Somervale, the man she’s supposed to blackmail. He is one of the most powerful men in the land, so handsome and cold that debutantes have been known to faint in his presence. After one meeting, Helen will be thrilled to never see his royal (and quite spectacular) backside, ever again.

But as her mission falls apart and danger closes in, Helen has no choice but to turn to the one man powerful enough to help her not just change the future, but survive the night.

REVIEW
First I must ask -- do you enjoy predictable books?  If NO, then this is one for you!

Time travel and Victorian era books are not usually my things.  I prefer vampires, witches and faeries to such complex theories as time travel.  However, because Caroline Hanson is one of my favorite authors (check out her Valerie Dearborn series if you haven’t) and she supplied me with a free copy I decided to give it a whirl.

Even though Victorian era settings are not high on my TBR list, I did enjoy how Caroline (seemingly accurately) incorporated customs of the time. She does an excellent job of setting up, explaining and justifying the need for Helen (the heroine) to time travel.  As the reader it is important to me that I like the heroine/hero and find something relatable with them.  Caroline does an excellent job of supplying this as well.  The heroine’s snarky remarks and internal voice make her a chick you can believe can accomplish every task set out for her.  The Duke Edward -- wasn’t there a better Victorian name; perhaps Charles, Robert or George would be better given the current (in)famous state of this name? – is your typical sexy strong male lead.  Again, an excellent job of developing the character so that you can understand and relate to what motivates him and leaves you intrigued enough to want to find out more.

The only conflict I have with the book and the premise is that if the “bad guys” have a weapon in the mid twentieth century that could change the course of history, how is it that the “good guys” are still around fighting in 2089?  I think maybe I’m too analytical sometimes for my own good.

I won’t give away any spoilers, but I will say that at the end of the book I thought, “WTH CAROLINE?!”

Overall, another fine example of why Caroline Hanson is one of my favorite authors!

5 of 5 Fangs


No comments:

Post a Comment

PNR Junkies on Facebook